Hawaiian Stopover


This is where it all starts!  Waiting to board my flight to Kauai, HI.  Breezed through security and am ready to go with plenty of time!  
Got into Kauai late at night, so it wasn't until the next morning that I got a chance to start exploring (after of course a cup of coffee, breakfast and some KenKen.  I did some initial reconnaissance of Kapa'a and research of locatl trails and such.  It was mid afternoon before I knew it!  I figured I would find lunch and some nice scenery up at Hanalei Bay.
After a great lunch at Tropical Taco, I walked just down the street to try my first ever shave ice!  I couldn't have picked a better spot than the Wishing Well Shave Ice (thanks Kim/Christine for the suggestion!)  It was amazing!  In the following days I sampled shave ice creations from 2 or 3 other locations on the island, but all paled in comparison!  I even drove back up on my last day to sample it again -- to see if it really was that great or just a first-time thing -- it was just as amazing the 2nd t
Confessing my inexperience to the friendly cashier, she suggested the Tropical Bliss and boy, is it aptly named!
 The sites of Hanalei Bay were just as delightful as the food!  The clouds made for wonderful composition and dramatic lighting:
Hanalei Bay, late afternoon sun peaking through
Kids having a blast in the perfect waters of the bay


Ocean by moonlight (long exposure)
Ocean By Moonlight
Loved the storm clouds in the morning (Hardly rained during the day, only at night -- truly paradise)
Loved looking up at the palm trees swaying in the tropical breeze
Another beautiful morning!
Couldn't get over the brilliant blues and greens every day!
Every morning's sunrise was a delight to behold (Kapa'a faces east!)
Wailua Falls (As close as you can get!  Very frustrating!)
Sunrise at Kapa'a
Beach at Kapa'a
Opaeka'a Falls (from a roadside observation point -- no closer access!)
A "cringe worthy" wedding I happened upon at Poipou Beach ...
Poipou Beach on the south shore of Oahu
Amazingly colorful birds
Have never seen the moon at this orientation!
Chickens everywhere!  Actually beautifully colored and would run around a lot like roadrunners!
I even tried a traditional Hawaiian poke bowl ...
Beautifully colored geeko waiting for his shave ice!

On my way to my departure flight, had to stop by Home Depot and was completely thrown off by this!

Sun light streaks on the hills south of Hanalei Bay
An overview of the taro fields and the amazing hills to the south of Hanalei Bay.
Hanalei valley looking west

Kilauea Lighthouse


















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Auckland at last!

World Tour commences soon ...