World Tour commences soon ...

Well, one week from today, I embark on my "world tour" -- a friend of mine has persisted in pointing out that I was brandishing the "world tour" label incorrectly thus far as all of my travels through Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah have been travels through the continental US and do not qualify for "world tour" status.

Hopefully the upcoming trip to New Zealand and Australia will validate the "World Tour" status once and for all.

Preparation and planning have been a bit exhausting.  Selecting the travel date was easy -- I wanted to be somewhere else when the wind and rain come to Seattle -- November.  It wasn't until I had booked the flights that I realized I wasn't alone in this train of thought -- apparently half the world goes to New Zealand in the November - January timeframe ... (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but that's the impression I've come to as I research accommodations and the like ...).

With this impression, visions of "No Vacancy" squashed my usual laissez faire approach to travel planning and brought on a nearly frantic push to get accommodations nailed down (before someone else grabbed 'em).

First stop is New Zealand and I had just a few spots I want to photograph:

Link to New Zealand map above

Okay, maybe a bit more than a few ... more like 80-90 spots I'm hoping to visit...

So next up was ... how?

Naturally, a Gantt chart was the only tool, right?  Of course not, but it gave me something analytical to do, which IS in my comfort zone and the way I approach most challenges:


Of course, now I realize planning the trip to this level of detail introduces its own mania and rigidity, so when it came time to plan Australia (the next leg of the "World Tour") I said "Enough!  Let the planning pendulum swing back to ad-hoc, laissez faire!"

Stay tuned to see how it all unfolds!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaiian Stopover

Auckland at last!